Seperation Services

Separation Services

For more information or to make an appointment please contact your General Practitioner (G.P.) or give our admin a call on 0481 168 623 or 0412 726 245.

New Adult Pathways offer support for families experiencing separation through its own services and that of our sister organisation New Children’s Pathways, whether considering separation, currently going through separation, or after being separated for a period of time.

Contact Service

New Adult Pathways can provide safe and positive contact service arrangements for children whose parents are separated.

What is involved?

The Contact Service offers supervised contact and changeover services for children whose parents have separated.

Our sister organisation New children’s Pathways provides a place which is emotionally and physically safe for children. We support children to re-build or strengthen their relationship with the parent they don’t live with and to assist them to have a voice in how the family manages this situation and how this voice can be communicated to the courts during litigation.

The Contact Service offers supervised contact and changeover services for children whose parents have separated.  The service focuses upon parents who have court orders or those who wish to use the service voluntarily.

We also open up our services to the department for Child Safety, Youth and Woman and other child focused foster care agencies.


New Adult Pathways identifies the benefits of the Children’s Contact Service as:

  • Contact and changeover can occur using an independent third party
  • You do not have to deal directly with the other parent
  • It provides a relaxed, safe and neutral environment for children and parents
  • Qualified professionals can assist you to improve your co-parenting relationship for the benefit of the children
  • Written contact reports can be produced to support the litigation process

Child Centred Professionals

What is a child centred approach:

New Adult Pathways social work team assists you to focus on and support your child/children through family separation.

The way a child reacts to a stressful event such as family separation is complex and unique. Supporting children throughout the separation process and encouraging a continued relationship with the all family members is an important responsibility for parents and this often needs to be demonstrated to the courts during litigation.

The way a child reacts to a stressful event such as family separation is complex and unique.  Stressful family breakdown can result in negative psychological consequences for children, resulting in trauma.

Children and Young People may not understand all they are feeling and often don’t have the words to be able to ask for help.  Parents may instead notice changes in behaviour which are unusual for their child.  This may be in the form of issues in school and/or issues in the home.  It is important to remember that there are positive steps parents can take to reduce the likelihood of emotional and behavioural problems for their child.

Child centred professionals assists parents to understand the impact of separation on their child. A children’s social worker, works with the child and provides information and support to parents to assist the child to cope with the family separation, reducing the likelihood of trauma.

Who are Child Centred Professionals:

Child Consultants are experienced Social Workers who specialise in working with children and young people. They have extensive knowledge of the developmental and emotional needs of children and young people during separation.

What is involved?

Parents may request a session when concerns for their child’s adjustment to separation are raised.  New Children’s Pathways staff will require both parents in Family Dispute Resolution will speak with the child consultant and provide written consent for their child to be seen before the process can continue.  The child centred professionals can then meet with the child or in the case of sibling groups several children may be seen at the same time.  Parents will be provided feedback around how their child/children is/are coping with the separation and will be further supported to assist their child to manage any problems they may be experiencing. Parents may also be engaged in services or alternatively provided with relevant referrals at this time.  This information may then be used to assist parents to make decisions in the best interest of their child.

Note: All communication between the child centred professional and child is confidential. Child centred professionals assess the overall wellbeing of the child and provide feedback accordingly.  However an exception to Confidentiality may occur if a Duty of Care Issue arises.  This process will only occur if it is in the best interest of the child.

Who Is Child Centred professional services for?

Separated families with children undergoing separation, including those in de facto or same sex relationships.  New Adult pathways staff will conduct an assessment to determine if Child Centred professional services is appropriate for your situation.

New Adult Pathways recognises the benefits of Child Centred professional services as:

  • It allows both parents to receive independent professional feedback about how their child is coping with the family separation.
  • Parents will get to hear about what is working for their child and how they can continue to support their child post separation. Parents often report being able to negotiate more objectively during court processes as they have information which centres the process on their child’s needs.
  • Your child has the opportunity to express how they feel freely and is supported to talk to an in-house counsellor in the future if they need to.